Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Yes, This is A Post About Faith

Why the blunt title? Unfortunately, I feel like I need to clarify myself whenever I decide to talk about religion.

Secondly, I have never written about my faith online before and I don't want this to result in a series of comments on how religion is for the uneducated or God is nonexistent (it saddens me to hear people say both of those things.)

I am writing this because I need to express my thoughts and I want everyone who is willing to please read them with me. This post is about respect, about our deepest compassion for fellow humans, and our confusing grief.

As with every tragedy, the suffering of the Boston Marathon yesterday has left me bewildered and confused.  How can God allow such suffering into this world? I find myself thinking over and over again these negative thoughts, but this morning I turned to a random page in my Bible and I wanted to share the comfort I found.

John 9:1-7 is the story of Jesus healing the blind man, a story most of us have heard. When His disciples ask if the man is blind because he or his parents have sinned in the past, Jesus explains that this man is only blind by the will of God, so that His works might by displayed in him.

This morning I realize once again that we have no control over the evil in this world. We are all pained by the idea that people can be dark inside and are wandering around blindly, lost from our deepest senses of community and human compassion. We must grieve for the people who are impacted, who are suffering; but we must foremost remember to trust in God. We must trust that he has allowed some souls to walk blindly so that we can help them find healing. We cannot forget to rise above the pain in order to help those that need Jesus's love most during this time.

For those of you reading that do not know God, I can understand your hesitance and I will never judge you. I have been there. If you can't turn to God in a time like this, turn to compassion. Find the fundamental connection all human beings have to one another and find a way to help.

If you cannot help the victims of the Boston Marathon attacks, hold the ones you love close. Choose to help the people around you find comfort in a time of confusion. Do what is right and good and forgive people before the next tragedy occurs. Do not live with regret. Find love in the knowledge that we are a global community and we can make small impacts that will result in a larger happiness.

1 comment:

Linda Kendrick said...

I loved you post and your views. I totally agree with you. I would like to read more of your writings. Thank you for posting this.