Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Little Feet, Big Shoes

Just when I had hit the point where the air felt stale in my lungs and my eyes were forever drooping, I was able to stop (or rather get up and go) and take a gigantic, deep breath of mountain air. I feel happy in saying that I feel happy. My mind feels fresh again. I am excited about so many things in the near future and in the present. The present; the right now. The term makes me want to smile: I am busy again but not stressed.

I filled out an application online and had a meeting with the assistant director of communications and now....I am going to officially start in October as a volunteer writer for the brilliant organization Children of the Nations (http://www.cotni.org/). I am beyond excited for this opportunity. Twice a week I get to go into the office and help out in any way I can; specifically by writing.

Secondly and as of this afternoon, I will be writing for my college's newspaper, The Olympian. I am really excited for this but I'm also very nervous. I wanted to work with the school newspaper at Perry by I never could fit it with my schedule. It's a time like this that I am a bit on edge. I don't want (obviously) to come to the editor with a poorly written article, although I did mention that I don't have prior experience with a newspaper. For now, I plan on working extremely hard on this article and remaining calm. I can do this properly and I have confidence in my writing abilities. I need to challenge myself this year; it's what I wanted and what I can achieve. Breathe.


The article I am assigned to write is about the dramatic increase in financial aid this semester compared to previous years. I'm also going to be taking pictures to accompany the article. I have a lot of work to do but I know that I can do this.  I cannot wait until school beings. Until I am official a college student, not just an identification number that has textbooks.

Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps.

No comments: